Monday, March 12, 2012

What makes you different?

Last Thursday I read a reflection on 1 Corinthians 2:1-9 - here's a quote from it:

"What foolishness!  Who in her right mind would follow a leader who was executed as a despised criminal?  And how foolish the disciples must have felt.  Terrified, yes, but foolish also.  They left their jobs, their families, their communities, for this? A crucified leader?  What fools they were."  (Edith Leet from Albany, NY)

And then this Sunday at our church we heard how first and foremost, Christians are different than non-Christians (or they should be).  What would you be willing to leave everything for?  What would cause you to live differently than you currently do?

It is interesting to examine my parents' children:

One has given up all material possessions, has nothing most of us rely on for security, and is attempting to cross the country on horseback.  www.freerangerodeo.com
One has given up the traditional education system for her daughters.  And I'm not talking home-schooling, I'm talking un-schooling.  http://withthefamily5.blogspot.com/  They have given up the American way of raising kids.
One has given up the career track, and is a pastor.  Admittedly, he is a pastor in a respected church, where being a pastor still has some level of respect, but it isn't what most people in town hope their children will become. www.pastor-dirk.blogspot.com

My parents did demonstrate that there are things more important in life than being like everyone else, we clearly got the message.  My sisters and I have taken that lesson in very different directions.  While I may look the most conventional, I hope I'm the most foolish in the world's eyes.  I am devoting my life to pointing to someone else (Jesus), I'm sharing with people the message that they need someone who died a criminal's death almost 2000 years ago,  I'm convinced that what matters most for my children is their spiritual life (not their academic, athletic, or social popularity) - Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment