Saturday, March 24, 2012

Sabbath

We don't work hard.  Not really, not most of us, not like back in the day.  I'm treading into some easily misinterpreted waters, because most of us would say that we work hard - but it is so different from the pre-industrial days, very different from the industrial revolution, not even close to many people in the world who work to survive.  Even the people I know who don't work at all, live far better than some very industrious people I have met in developing countries.  But I digress from where I was going.  We don't work to survive, we work for "the good life."  We put in many hours, think hard, interact with many people and machines, and some of you work physically in your jobs - but it isn't physically building your house, growing you food, protecting your family... so what does a day of rest, a Sabbath, look like?

For one thing it should look different from the other days of the week.  We should not be in our work place, or doing our job seven days a week.  We aren't made for it, and it isn't good, no matter what our work looks like.  I don't think however, that a Sabbath day, a day of rest, isn't necessarily about ceasing - but rather a restorative time.  If you are interacting with people in sales all week - have a day without any interpersonal relations of that ilk.... I could go on, but this is my day of rest, and making that list seems like work right now...

Today is my day of rest.
And tomorrow is my day of worship.  I think it is an amazing blessing we so take for granted in America - in modern society.   We have a day of rest, Saturday, and a day of worship, Sunday.  Wow!  What a blessing unheard of in days of old.  I hope you use them well.  And if your schedule is a bit different from a 5 day workweek, I hope you find a day of rest and a time of worship in your rhythm of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment