Friday, March 16, 2012

Quick Check Up - Unconditional Love

While I was writing about unconditional love last night Jashton was doing his homework, and I didn't want to interrupt for my own personal research.  My opportunity came a little later, however, as Tobiah and I were waiting for Corban to finish brushing his teeth.  I asked our middle-est how he knew I loved him.

"Because you are my dad."

It is there, it is in the fabric, it is the air we breath.  Because I am his dad, by definition of what a dad is and does, I love him.  I asked him if there was another way he knew and he added, "even when I do something wrong, you still love me."  Yep, that is absolutely right.

In case you are thinking it is strange that reason number two went to him doing something wrong, it is in the context of the evening.  Less than an hour before we had to have a heart to heart as he had not used newly given freedom and responsibility well.  But he learned from it, and through it all, even the verbal chastising, he knew he was loved - unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment