Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My parents - listening and responding to God's call

My parents are old.  Not that they act old, not that most people think of them as old, not that they even look all that old - but I have a mental construct: old starts at 70, and they have both crossed that threshold.

My parents are in the Dominican Republic right now.  They are not visiting a five, four or even three star resort.  They are staying in a near windowless room (maid's quarters) in the house of a couple working to share God's blessings with the poor of the Dominican Republic.  They are traveling up rustic roads to spend time with another family making a difference in a rural part of the island.  They are gathering together with Christians from throughout Latin America, all who are listening and responding to God's call.  Six years ago, fresh into retirement, they could not have forecast this trip.  But today they are learning from, encouraging, and seeking partnership with people half their age - because they are listening and responding to God's call.

Since retirement my parents have done some of what was to be expected.  My dad acts as a consultant in Christian camping, gardens around the house have expanded and improved, pleasure trips to Ireland and loved ones have been taken, trips postponed by life have been realized (like my dad joining me on a study pilgrimage to Israel), time has been devoted to grandchildren and their church - but their active role in moving a suburban church out of its bubble and into the world was not on the agenda.  Yet, my mom's faithful listening to God, willingness to gently encourage people forward, the work of God in opening up opportunities is changing lives.  They have led people to Poland, are enabling a large group to head to Nicaragua, they have connected people to Africa - they are making a difference in a new way.

My parents are old, my parents are in the Dominican Republic, my parents continue to live their faith.  In our youth each year is full of such change, so much can happen in such a short period of time, we adventurously strike out in new directions - it doesn't only have to happen in our youth!

No comments:

Post a Comment