Monday, March 19, 2012

Should I stay or should I go - the power of rationalization

Today was a choice:
Option A: Stay home, prepare to the move, do laundry, compare home insurance policies
Option B: Go up to the Woods - build, unplug, possibly the last opportunity till May.


As I switched loads of laundry I was thinking how I made the right choice - getting this work done will pay off in the coming two weeks.
HOWEVER, if I were at the Woods right now my hunch is that I would be thinking that I had made the right choice.  I would be enjoying the unseasonably warm day, getting some therapeutic work done, and know that it is for my mental and spiritual health.

How can this be?  I'm guessing it is one of two options:
1.  Rationalization.  We get really good at telling ourselves that whatever we are doing is best.  I'm really good at developing a rational argument justifying my actions.
2.  They were both good options.  Different, but both had benefits (and associated costs).  Being someone who looks for the positive, I would focus on the good of either option.  Someone else could have the exact same situation, and experience regret either way they went.  But the reality is, which ever path I take for this day is heading in the generally right direction.  All the work will get done, both hear and at the Woods, it is just a matter of when and how.

The third option is that I took the best option, and thinking of the alternative isn't possible because I didn't take it.  If I had indeed taken the trip to the Woods it would have been because it was indeed the best to meet my needs today.

It is probably a bit of both 1 and 2.  We rationalize and adjust according to the world, our decisions and life in general - we make the best of it.  But there is also the fact that some decisions aren't that consequential, and we will get to the final destination all the same.  Sometimes with more or less effort, sometimes with unintended consequences or hardship for ourselves or others (but even this we can view as continuing education) - but we make it through.

So the primary questions are:
    Is this the right trajectory for my life?
    Do I have a sound understanding of the world and how it works?



No comments:

Post a Comment