Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Smile & Wave

I live in the Northeast - people here are nicer than they appear on the surface.
But I'd like to change that.

This morning I was encouraged in my reading to share the light of Jesus with those around me.  What if that started with smiling, waving, and saying high to everyone I pass?  I would do it if it was my sister passing by.  I would do it if it was one of my neighbors who I know well.  I would do exchange greetings if it were someone I work with.  So - as a Christian, I should do it to everyone I pass.  Sharing a bit of light.

Who is my brother or sister?  Jesus says anyone who does the will of His Father.
        I'm passing a good number of my siblings every day - I should at least acknowledge them.
Who is my neighbor?  Jesus says, even the one who is considered the shunned foreigner.
        I'm passing a never ending streams of neighbors daily.
Who is my co-worker?  Jesus says we are sent out as harvesters into the ripe field.

        I'm passing co-workers who might need a little encouragement.

As I'm walking the dog, I'm trying to be a little less New Yorker, and a little more Christian.  And if all the Christians in the Northeast started acknowledging our siblings and neighbors on the street - this part of the country would seem a bit warmer.  It can start with me.

If you are not from the Northeast, people up here are actually just as friendly as the rest of the country (maybe even nicer) it is just below the surface, covered by a thin veneer of protection.  A smile and a wave would wipe away that veneer...

No comments:

Post a Comment