Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Culture of Unconditional Love

It is woven into our understanding, it is expressed in our words, it is seen in our decisions, it is given in our history, it is reinforced with our stories, it is grown through our faith, it is shown in our contact, it is assumed as a given, it becomes like the water fish swim in - unconditional love is known within our family.

Yesterday I asked - how do my kids know they are loved unconditionally?  How does my wife know that she is loved unconditionally?  It is not that I don't expect a great deal of them.  It is not that I don't hold them to standards.  It is not that they don't do the same of me.  It is not in hallmark expressions of deep fondness.  It is known because it is the truth.  And cultivated within our family culture.

I've known people who had parents of other generations or cultures who never heard "I love you."  And they definitely didn't hear about unconditional love in their home - but they knew to the core of their being that their disciplinarian stoic father loved them from the core of his being, and would die for them if that was required.  "No greater love has a man than to lay down his life for another."  But I think we can do better.

I will give it all for those I love, but giving the little stuff is often the bigger challenge, but also what will enrich all our lives.  In my words, my guidance, my listening, my hugging, my discipline, my story telling, my spiritual instruction, my example, my apologies, my very nature - I seek to ensure that my kids and wife are loved unconditionally.  So much so it is taken for granted like the air we breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment