Sunday, November 7, 2010

There was night, and there was day - day 1

When I was in French class in high school my teacher talked about elevator questions/answers. I don't remember my French, but I do remember her talking about being asked whether she was going up or down, and in a state of bewilderment, she answered yes. Tonight, after a night of travel, waiting hours in the airport for the rest of the tour members, and then an 1 ½ bus ride to the convent where we are staying – we had the opportunities to get to know each other (all 48 of us).

The question we were to answer was expected – What do you hope to get out of this trip? My real answer was “yes.” My verbalized answer of mental pictures and stories to help the Bible come alive is true, as the answer given by about ½ of the participants of better understanding the current conflict (especially the Palestinian perspective) – but there is also just being open to God as a break just about every routine in my life, building a better bond with my father, getting to know other Christians and hearing their perspective... so my answer is “yes”

A few details – dinner was soup, pitas & hummus, followed by baked chicken, thoroughly cooked green beans and carrots. I think we are in an amazing old convent, but we arrived in the dark, but the walls to our rooms are 2 ft thick, and it is on a hill over looking the Med (at Haifa). We have breakfast at 6:30 in the morning so we can be the first group at our first destination.

Dirk

No comments:

Post a Comment