Friday, February 17, 2017

What are you scared about?

Are you nervous about the trip?  Are you scared? 

These were common questions over the past few weeks.  For me, the most nerve-wracking part of the trip has passed – we are now at the airport.  I have no expectation that something bad will happen while in Niger – there will be challenge, but those are what make the best stories.  There is so much I’m looking forward to about visiting this corner of the world; that is what I’m thinking about.  The more I talk to people about Niger, the more I realize I don’t know.  There are so many questions I hope to have answered.  I can’t wait to start learning.  And then there are the people.  American families I hope we can be a true encouragement for who live in Niger long-term.  I can’t wait to deliver our care packages!  And what about the people of Niger?  What are they like, and where do they see themselves going?  And just to see a place like few others, what will it be like?  So, my biggest fear has been not making it there. 

Now many of the variables which would create problems have past.  What will the February weather bring? One good storm and you’re delayed for days.  What about crisis events, or health issues?  Some things just cannot be predicted.  And then there is getting from little Castleton, through the NY metro area, and to JFK Airport.  Will there be vehicle problems?  And what about traffic?  How much time should we allow for delays?  But now we are sitting at the gate, we are through the hard part.  
Our flight is scheduled to leave in less than two hours, and then in a bit over 16 hours, we should be touching down in Niamey, Niger.  Let the adventure begin!

  

2 comments:

  1. God's gracious and steadying hand has been evident in these beginning moments to the trip. God be praised!

    ReplyDelete