Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Heading to Africa

Over six years ago this blog started to record and share a trip to Israel.  Since then I have used it for reflection, commentary and even Lenten discipline - but time and again it has gone back to its origin - travel.  (Israel 2010, Bolivia 2011, India 2015)

I am humbled by the opportunities I have had over the years.  Every time I travel it changes me, I learn so much, and I'm glad even a few people follow along with my blog.  

So I am logging in again, because my passport is out again, and a new adventure is ahead.  My second ever blog entry was an itinerary; all the exciting and interesting places the tour would be visiting in Israel - famous places, locations people of the Abrahamic faiths hold as sacred.  Well, this trip is completely different.

First, there is no tour group.  Nor is there a detailed itinerary.  Most people don't know where the country is, we don't know anything that has happened there, and I know of no tourist sites.  I am heading to Niamey, Niger.  Not exactly on anyone's "must visit" list.  

A quick image search hints at the dust, simplicity, and decidedly foreign nature of this place...

It is the country with the lowest standard of living on the planet, a country dominated by desert.

But we are going not for the history, but for the now - specifically people who are there now. Even more specifically, two families, the Johnsons and the Beebouts.  Four of us will be traveling from Emmanuel Reformed Church to encourage these families, learn what God is doing in Niger, and hopefully discover ways we can engage in the ministry happening in this forgotten part of the world.

Johnsons                                                      Niamey, Niger                                                Beebouts
We head out February 17 and return the 24th.  I'll keep you posted as I'm able.

1 comment:

  1. God guide and bless your ministry to these kingdom workers in Niger.

    ReplyDelete