Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Out of my depth

 I'm not exactly sure what the phrase "out of my depth" actually means or where it came from - but I'm pretty sure I'm there!  As I sit at a small desk, looking out at rugged greenery through a window with no glass, and work on my material for tomorrow - I can feel my reliance on God within my chest in a tangible way.

What will be helpful?  How do I connect?  What is the best way to teach in this context?  How fast or slow will the time go?  All I know for sure is that God better be in all this or it will be a total waste of time for everyone.  So where am I, and what am I doing?

I am in Likabali, Assam, India.  If it were not for google maps you would not have a chance of figuring out where in the world that is.  A small town on the border between Assam and the protected state of Aranachal - on the road which leads to China.  It is here that about 15 years ago Pastor Steward came to help churches and Christians.  Over the years, he has married a local Christian woman, they have started a family, and on land given by her father built not only a home, but the Likabali Leadership Training Centre.

Here, every year, Pastor Steward trains 10 to 20 young men and women to serve as pastors and evangelists in small towns and villages throughout the area.  These young Christians called by God come and live in Likabali for nine months, and pastor Steward pours into them good training, basic principles, and his heart of faith.

This is their final week here at the training centre.  On Saturday they graduate.  What God does with these 14 students I may never know in my life time, but I have a few days to encourage them as they embark into service.  I truly believe they are more important than I am in God's kingdom.  Some of them will be working within a tribe of 2 million people, of which only a few thousand have heard about Jesus.  Others will go back to villages to live and serve as a witness to Christ - places where no missionary may go.

But not only these 14 students, but another 30 or so pastors and evangelists are to arrive for a two day seminar I am leading.  Pastors, some with no formal training, but a definite call of God upon their lives.  What do I have to offer?  All my experience with Americans who have no theology of suffering.  All my experience using biblical tools and resources that these pastors may never have access to.  All my experience trying to break through a jaded and educated population which is pretty sure they don't need anything.  Most of my ministry experience is useless here - but I am not.

I am not useless because I have the Bible.  I am not useless because God has called me to this.  I am not useless because, while on the surface our worlds are as different as their longitude on the globe, in our hearts every human has the same needs.  God is the same yesterday, today and forever - not to mention every timezone.  The Bible is alive and breathes words of hope and life into every open heart regardless of language or culture.  God's Spirit is more powerful than we can imagine.  The name of Jesus Christ still stirs hearts today.

I am out of my depth, and plumbing the depths of God's greatness.  Please keep me in your prayers that I may stay sensitive to God's lead as I teach and encourage these pastors - and they teach and encourage me.

No comments:

Post a Comment