Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent - what to give up?

People give up things for Lent.  A family at church is giving up meat, Jen is giving up coffee, others give up chips, sweets, or other desirable things to heighten the time of preparation before Easter.  40 days - what to give up...what to gain?

I have a problem with this.  Not that I don't think people should fast from something during Lent, it is a great practice, but the problem is me.  I have a hard time determining what to give up.  My wonderings this morning take me to birthdays and Christmas.  It is hard to buy for me because, for the most part, if there is something I desire, I buy it.  I don't want much which can be put in a box, but if I'm in need of a new shirt, I typically don't wait for someone to give it to me.   Sometimes I remember that my wife is trying to figure out what to get me and purposely don't buy something which can later be given - but more often than not, I take care of it as the need arises.

I'm wondering if this is a slice of my Lenten dilemma?  If there is something which is controlling my life, I've probably already dealt with it (or I'm in denial about it and won't consider it for Lent).  I'm not inclined to wait for a special season... but then again, maybe I shouldn't dismiss it so quickly.  I am truly thankful for any gift I'm given for a birthday or Christmas, and some of those gifts have become treasures.  What gift does God have for me this Lent?

"Rend your heart and not your garments.
Now return to the LORD your God, 
For He is gracious and compassionate, 
Slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness"
Joel 2:13

1 comment:

  1. So today on my own lenten journey, as I finished reading the passage in Luke about giving up everything to follow Jesus, Devin asked me if I could get her some more juice. Of course, I put down my Bible and notebook to tend to her needs. As I sat down, I thought, "How ironic!" but it was a good segueway into prayer - that Jesus would make me as attentive to His needs and desires as I am to those of my 2 year old.
    As I read the devotional, a line from a Casting Crowns song kept going through my head - "Lord, break my heart for what breaks yours..." and so that is my second prayer for today.

    ReplyDelete