Monday, January 10, 2011

fed up with technology...



I found myself saying all sorts of not nice things about computers and technology last month.  It wasn’t that anything all that awful was happening... no crashing mother boards, no hard drive failures, no corrupted data... it just wasn’t easy.   

To do what I wanted to, it all seemed to take five steps and three different programs.  Part of this was brought on by a new server and workstation computer at work.  I had to take the time to set things up... again.  Some of it was helping others do the same, and the challenge of forgotten passwords, and what was that again... oh yeah, passwords which were forgotten.  I started resorting to words like hate.  Isn’t that a bit strong for an inanimate object which was just doing what it was programed to do?  

But then I switched to our new website.  I switched to a new e-mail system to handle all our accounts.  I switched to a new group communication service... (just call me pastor of technology) I was setting myself up for full technological armageddon.  But guess what, all this provided an epiphany.  I am not fed up with technology - I’m just fed up with technology which isn’t easy.  Just when technology reached the point of impossible complexity the geeks of the world delivered - and I must say, just in time.  

You can now have your phone, e-mail, web, music, movies, and games all in one device - and it doesn’t require a 200 page manual to operate.  (just a monthly contract I’m not willing to pay for - but wi-fi is my friend).  I can set up an completely new website in days, not months.  It can be edited by multiple staff members, and none of us have to deal with code, pixels, or ftp...(unless I want to release my inner geek from time to time).  The geeks of the world have learned the art of hiding their geekiness.  Hip, cool, simple and easy to get along with on the exterior - amazingly powerful, complex and fully nerdy on the inside.  It is a great recipe to avoid getting abused by the world; whether you are a smartphone, power-nerd or a computer.   

I’m ready once again to enjoy a friendly and fruitful relationship with technology.


NOTICE: This e-mail in no way endorses, condones or encourages negative feelings or action is toward geeks who are geeks through and through. In case you missed the fall - bullying is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment