Wednesday, January 8, 2014

You never know - unless you ask...

Two cardboard signs spelling out his plight.  I looked him in the eye, said hello, and swept past.  He was standing at a rest stop along Interstate 5 in Oregon, literally with his hat out (white hardhat to be specific).  After all the Gieser boys were done in the facilities, we headed back out to the fresh air.  I felt compelled to acknowledge his existence - I asked what was going on in his life.

Short story even shorter, a job possibility didn't work out in Oregon and he was trying to get back to Colorado.  True or not, I gave him some cash.  Life was hard and he wasn't there for fun...  But then he continued - seemingly out of nowhere with a gush of "my son is a missionary in Mexico."  To be clear, I laid no bait for this information, not even a 'God bless you', or mention of prayer.  I was just a guy who took the time to ask what was important in his life. And I learned that more than a guy in the midst of hard times, he was a proud father.

In a matter of a minute or so I learned that not only was his son a missionary in Mexico, but a Christian rap artist with a youtube hit.  "Look up Sean Cates, S-E-A-N  C-A-T-ES, you'll find him, his video 'to know you' has over a million hits."  My family was heading back to the van, so I did as well.  However, not everyone was there, so I pulled out the smartphone and started searching.

I don't do well comprehending things spelled out for me - I didn't have his son's last name in my head.  Now I was curious so I opened the door to go ask again - before I had my foot on the ground he was dropping his cardboard signs and heading my way.  We met in the middle, he gave it to me again, then we each returned to our different worlds...

Not a beggar - a proud dad.  I'm glad I asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment